It’s not new to many of us that kids need routines to provide structure and discipline in their lives. When we’re younger, most of us had a routine that included getting up and going to bed at the same time everyday, eating, showering, doing homework, and participating in practices throughout the week – all on a schedule.
But what about as adults? Many adults don’t have a set daily routine that they stick to. For the most part, we get up and go to work–but beyond, many don’t have a set daily routine. For some, this can be overwhelming and worrisome. As a result of not having a schedule to adhere to, many adults feel stressed, anxious, overwhelmed and falling short of their potential and goals in life. The beauty of having a routine can look different from person to person, but the key is to have one. Routines help us be more productive, feel in control, and identify the best person we can possibly be.
According to the blog Skilled at Life, here are a few reasons why a daily routine is so important:
- Makes Us More Efficient
- When we follow a routine, it reduces the need to make decisions each day. It enables us to know exactly what tasks we need to do each day without having to contemplate, decide or think too much.
- Reduces Our Need to Plan
- When we carefully design a set routine to follow, it eliminates the need to plan our activities every morning and budget and allocate our precious time. It takes the guesswork out of our day and allows us to wake up and “”do”” instead of wake up and “”plan.””
- Instills Good Habits
- The secret to building good habits is repetition. When we design a personal routine that works for us, it facilitates developing good habits by encouraging us to repeat the same tasks over and over again.
- Reduces Procrastination
- When a set of tasks and activities become routine, it reduces the chance that we will procrastinate doing them. It becomes ingrained into our system and we almost do it subconsciously.
- Builds Self Confidence
- When we follow a routine and stick with it, it helps build self confidence and gives us a sense of tremendous satisfaction. That provides “”fuel”” to continue our routine and reap the benefits associated with it.
- Helps Us Achieve Our Goals
- Our goals and aspirations are rarely, if ever, achieved all at once. Successful people accomplish their goals by doing the same thing over and over again. Developing and sticking with a routine that is congruent with your goals is one of the surest ways to ensure success.
Your future is found in your daily routine. Successful people do daily what others do occasionally”” –Paula White
YOU are worth it, YOU can do it, YOU are loved! Make today a great day!